St Andrew's Church
St Andrew’s church dates back to the early medieval period with much of the structure dating to the 13th century. It sited on some of the highest ground of the port and town. The 500-year old tower commands a good view of the town and countryside. The town has evidence from the Romano-British period. After the Norman Conquest of 1066, the greater part of Immingham was given to the Darcy Family of Nocton near Lincoln. The rest was given to William Percy, along with vast other estates in Lincolnshire, Yorkshire and elsewhere. Later between 1144 and 1150, a new Cistercian order of Nuns was founded by Alice at Appleton near Tadcaster in Yorkshire. They were given lands in Immingham by a man called Fulk, a steward for many Percy Estates, and relation of Alice. Later still in 1219 Adeliza de St Quentin, the niece of Alice, provided Immingham’s first recorded priest called Walter. The Nuns provided the land upon which the Saint Andrew’s now stands, and “Parson’s Toft” for the vicarage. This land now forms the eastern part of the churchyard.
The Church Building consists of a 13th century nave, north and south aisles, chancel and late 15th century western tower. The late Norman style earliest parts are the pillars and arches of the south arcade of the nave and the south doorway. The north arcade is early perpendicular style. There is a Priest’s doorway in the south wall of the sanctuary. (This is now blocked off following a break in some years ago.) There is much evidence of reformation removal of carved stonework, never the less there are some interesting gargoyles on the exterior. There are several interesting local handmade bricks in nineteenth century repairs, and improvised use of a coffin lid to repair one of the south windows. On the south aisle the exterior is a nineteenth century graphite of a whale. On the tower north cantillate are the letters TC 1780.
The first recorded priest came in 1219 and lived on a plot called “Parsons Toft” which is now the eastern side of the church’s graveyard. The bell tower has the largest bell made by John Potter of York and was made over 600 years ago.
There is evidence of the ridge and furrow medieval field system north of the church.
The Black Death killed the vicar and many more. An indication of numbers of the period was found in nearby Thornton Abbey, where a recently found mass grave had 48 skeletons, 27 of them children.
The Pilgrim Father's Monument
The Pilgrim Father’s Monument once stood at Immingham Creek, the place it was thought the Pilgrims sailed from to Holland in 1608. The monument was erected by the Anglo-American Society of Hull and was placed in situ in 1924 shortly after the 300th anniversary of the Mayflower’s voyage. It was erected 300 yards from the Immingham Dock lockpit and 200 yards from the Immingham Station. The monument is 20 feet high and was envisaged to be a prominent landmark for all vessels navigating the Humber. The top part of the monument consists of a piece of grey granite brought from the identical spot at Plymouth Rock upon which the Pilgrim Fathers landed. A special unveiling ceremony took place on 17th September 1925 which also recorded the foundation stone-laying of 31st July 1924. Interestingly, the date the Pilgrims left England was recorded as being 1609, when in fact it was 1608. The inscription on the monument was amended.
The inscription on the monument reads:
“From this creek the Pilgrim Fathers first left England in 1608 in search of religious liberty. The granite top stone was taken from Plymouth Rock Mass and presented by the Sulgrave Institution of USA. This memorial was erected by the Anglo-American Society of Hull 1924”.
Sulgrave was the ancestral home of the first President of the United States, George Washington, in Northamptonshire.
The Monument now stands in Pilgrim Park, looking out onto St Andrew’s Church. It was moved May 1970 due to the expansion of the docks. A service of re-dedication was held at the time, commemorating the 350th anniversary of the Mayflower sailing.
The County Hotel
The County Hotel is an important landmark for the development of Immingham from a village to a port town, being built during the Immingham Docks development. It is one of the most prominent buildings in Immingham and was constructed in 1910 by G H Mumby.
The hotel was used as a temporary headquarters by Lord Mountbatten after his destroyer, HMS Kelly, was damaged by a mine in the Humber Estuary in 1939. Another eminent visitor was King George V.
The War Memorial
Immingham’s War Memorial, sited close to the County Hotel, is Grade II listed and is a simple plain, obelisk-shaped stone made from granite. It commemorates those residents of Immingham who were killed in the First World War (1914-1918), the Second World War (1939-1945) and the war in Afghanistan (2001-2014). Over forty names are engraved on the memorial.
The Tin House, 359 Pelham Road
A grade II listed building
The corrugated iron bungalow dating to 1907 is an unusual survival of a type of housing rapidly constructed as part of a major building or civil engineering project, in this case Immingham Docks. They were built by Price, Wills and Reeve, the contractors who were employed to build the docks. There were originally five bungalows on Pelham Road and in 1910 they were occupied by the chief engineer, the dock engineer, the foreman, a bricklayer and a baker. This was one of many buildings constructed of this type for the teams of workers building the Dock. Most were situated in the area that is now the Pilgrim Health Centre and included shops and facilities and was known as “Tin Town”.
In 1912 an Isolation Hospital was also built in Mill Lane near to where Immingham Cemetery is situated. In 1953 it was sold to Bill Cullum who used the materials to build a garage next to the bungalow in Blossom Way. All six remained until 1974 when the bungalow ‘Sunnyside’ and the garage on Blossom Way were demolished to make way for a furniture depository.
The bungalow at 361 Pelham Road was dismantled in 2006 and taken to Sandtoft Trolleybus Museum and was totally rebuilt and can still be seen today.
The bungalows are timber framed and have a pitched roof, the walls and roof are clad in corrugated iron sheets galvanised with zinc. There is a single centrally positioned brick stack and originally had three fire places in the front room, living room and small bedroom. The building is rectangular in plan and is raised some 0.70m off the ground on brick piers. The window in the front porch is the only remaining original window.
Trinity Methodist Chapel
The Bethel Primitive Methodist chapel was established around 1856. It changed its name to the Trinity in 1965 when the three Immingham societies united.
The Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
The Wesleyan Chapel still stands on the corner of Bluestone Lane and Pelham Road. It was built in 1883 costing £275. The shed next door was once the rating office. It was the former home of the Immingham Museum until it moved in 1970.
Kings Road Mission Chapel
The Wesleyan Methodist Mission opened on Kings Road in 1925. Also known as the Immingham Dock Mission, it began as a temporary chapel, built in 1907. The permanent chapel was built alongside it in 1925. The chapel closed in 1965 after which its premises were administered as part of Immingham Trinity Chapel.
Former Police Station
Immingham’s former police station stands in Humberville Road opposite the County Hotel. Constructed in 1911, it replaced the police station that was sited within the corrugated iron buildings of tin town built to house the construction workers of the docks. Its first Police Sergeant was a Sgt Orange.